Search This Blog

Friday, June 3, 2011

Book Box Tutorial

I was thrilled when the ladies over at "The Shoe" asked me to do a tutorial for this weeks challenge.  I have always wanted to learn how to make the cute book boxes that I have seen.  I spent an afternoon playing with some cardstock and was able to come up with my version of the book box.  I hope that you find this tutorial helpful and hope that you will join in this weeks challenge over at "The Shoe."






Materials used:


Scoreboard
11” x 5.5” solid cardstock (for the box)
Two pieces of 9.5” x 4.75” cardstock (for the book part)
Two pieces of 9.5” x 4”cardstock (for the book part)
Two pieces of 5.25” x 4.5” plain paper (to decorate)
Two pieces of 5.25” x 4.5” designer paper (to decorate)
Two pieces of 5” x 4.25” plain paper (to decorate)
Two pieces of 5” x 4.25” designer paper (to decorate)
Fast drying glue
Double-sided tape
Ribbon (to tie the box and also to decorate)
Embellishments

Step 1:
Score the longest part of both pieces of 9.5” x 4.75” cardstock at each 1” increment – then turn on the other side and score at each ½” increment. Then repeat with both pieces of 9.5” x 4” pieces of cardstock.





 Step 2:

Now fold each piece of cardstock accordion style as shown (optional – ink edges of cardstock on both sides)



Step 3:

Take one of the 9.5” x 4.75” pieces of cardstock and place glue in the folds on one end.   Now take one of the 9.5” x 4” pieces of cardstock and join it to the other part which was glued previously. 




Step 4:

Repeat with remaining last 2 pieces of cardstock until edges of book is formed.  Put to the side to let the glue dry completely.




Step 5:
Score the 11” x 5.5” cardstock at 4.75”  and 6.25”.   This piece forms the cover of the book.  (Optional step – ink around edges and creases of the book cover, and papers to be used for embellishments).


Step 6:

Add 5.25” x 4.5” solid paper to outside cover of book as shown.  Tape ribbon to solid cardstock on left and right side (this will serve as the closing mechanism for the book box).  Add designer paper over the ribbon.  Optional add 5.25” x 1.25” designer paper and 5” x 1” solid paper to the spine of the book box.

Step 7:
Repeat the step 6 on the inside covers of the book box


Step 8: Using double sided tape add the book pages to the inside of the book


Step 9:
Decorate the top of the book pages with lace, ribbon, and/or cardstock.  Add embellishments and your choice of treat on the inside.





Thank you for looking!

13 comments:

  1. What a great tutorial, I have saved to have a go at a later stage. Thanks Cammi

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great I think I just found my week end project. Love it. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful tutorial and darling box! The treat inside is almost as awesome as the box!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cammi
    Great book ,awesome idea!
    Gloria Harvey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic project - I would have never thought to make the box that way. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cammi, that is great! Your book looks like it would take all day to make, but your directions sound like it won't be so hard! Your turned out really cute! Gonna have to try one of these! Thanks for the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!! I've never seen this before, what an amazing project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks like I'm a week late so I won't be playing this time but I love your creation. I also love how your colored the image, the little girl is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is a wonderful tutorial --thank you for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. cammi, you rock! this tutorial is fabulous! tfs!
    abrazos,
    bella

    ReplyDelete
  11. This tutorial is awesome! I have made 2 boxes with it and wanted to share it with you. I've linked to your tutorial in my posts and won a few challenges with my projects! Thanks so much for sharing this!

    http://kurly-q.blogspot.com/2011/06/sentimental-sundays-celebrate-summer_18.html

    AND

    http://kurly-q.blogspot.com/2011/06/fairy-book-box.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been wondering who made that awesome
    box. I got one of them in a swap recently,
    thanks Cammi!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment =)